Tuesday, December 5, 2023

Day 5 Advent Calendar Blog Hop

 Hello everyone! I hope you started the day with a visit to our fabulous host Jo's blog. Here we are at Day 5 of the Advent Calendar Blog Hop 2023.
 

I'm quite excited about the finish I have to show you, but first, Jo asked us about Santa stories or traditions that we grew up with, find locally or do currently. I don't think specifically seeing Santa and getting photos was a big deal for us growing up. Possibly my dad was too "thrifty" to buy the photos back then. I remember often seeing Santa at the Parish Hall at our church for a Christmas celebration, but I'm not sure the details on how that all happened. We rarely ever saw "mall Santas".

One of my parent's friends used to dress up as Bonhomme, which is technically a French Canadian tradition, and he was a French teacher. 

I don't have access to them, but there's photos of my brother and I with Bonhomme when we were little. 

Currently, DH is the head of the local parent-teacher organization and a photographer, so he organizes a Pancake Breakfast at the school with the rest of the committee and he takes all the photos with Santa. Santa often arrives on a fire truck, so it's really exciting for all the kids. We've had a photo of DD with Santa every year since she was born because of that. Here's a memorable one:

Santa felt bad that she was scared, but it was short lived:
    

So far DD is still excited to see Santa every year and this year's wish will be difficult for Santa. She wants a magic wand that's actually magical and allows her to fix my allergies and her Papa's allergies so we can have more cats from the rescue where we volunteer. :) We've tried to let her know Santa can't bring things that aren't real, but she's determined. 

We leave out cookies and oat milk for Santa as well as vegetables for the reindeer. DD sometimes writes a note as well. 

And now to the finish! Ta da!
Joyeux Noel by Jardin Privé
stitched 1 over 2 on 28ct Slytherin evenweave by Chromatic Alchemy
with Caron Waterlilies Hint of Mint

I love the finish on this one. There is a layer of things underneath the house and trees, but I didn't really want to add it in. I like this look much better. They have a version that says Merry Christmas as well, but this works for our house. 

I hope everyone is enjoying the month so far, however you celebrate!

Happy Stitching, 

Tiffstitch

30 comments:

  1. Such a lovely story! I have enjoyed my visit. Your Chridtmas project is stunning. So beautiful! Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, good luck finding a magic wand, or explaining why Santa didn't leave one for her! Love how she was thinking of her parents and not herself though.
    Congrats on your finish; it looks very subtle and delicate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for taking part in the Advent Calendar Blog Hop this year. Love your Noel finish, such a beautiful colour combination. Glad your daughter isn't scared of Santa any more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Christmas! Thank you for hosting yet again. :)

      Delete
  4. I feel for your daughter, although I never had a public breakdown, I'm sure there were several private ones. I never liked Christmas myself and I wasn't often put in a "Santa situation", especially because my mom was too busy to bother, but I remember being asked more than once, "do you want to say hi to Santa?", and very firmly answering, "NO". A gigantic, harry, boisterous old man was just too much for this scared little kid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good thing you stood up for yourself! She loves him now, but that was pretty interesting. Have a good holiday!

      Delete
  5. A pretty Christmas finish. I enjoyed reading your Santa stories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Jardin Prive is beautiful, very effective. It's fun reading everyone's stories, thank you for sharing yours. I hope Santa brings the magic wand

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is something special stitching over one. Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great pattern of Jardin Privé, nice fabric! We have the issues here too with Capucine who often ask for "fairies gifts" and keep asking where are the powers of the magical powder or wand. Love the Bonhomme costume, never heard of it, must make some researches.Joyeuses fêtes de Noël ! Amitiés. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyeux Noël! Je pense Bonhomme est un nom pour un homme de neige en Quebec? (I'm practicing, still not great though. )

      Delete
  9. Love hearing your Christmas stories. First time hearing of Bonhomme. Lovely Joyeux Noel piece.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fascinating! I'd never heard of Bonhomme (good man?) before! I love learning new things about other cultures. Cute Santa pic with your DD; aren't those fun??!! I love your stitched piece — it's so beautiful!! Merry Christmas! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Christmas! Yes, that's how it translates. It's what they call snowmen in Quebec I think? He's the Quebec City mascot for the Festival there.

      Delete
  11. Great finish, well done!
    I hadn't heard of Bonhomme before, how interesting how traditions are different in different regions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is. So different even in our neighbouring province.

      Delete
  12. Love the stitch, and wow. A Magic wand that works is a difficult task indeed!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such beautiful stitching! Oh those magical wands are surely hard to come by!! Happy Stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your finish is great! Love the fabric you choose.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cute post! Joyeux Noel is so pretty. Love the traditions you have for your daughter. Merry Christmas 🎁

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awe, love her for wanting a wand to make you both feel better. But if the ultimate results are cats, I hope you found one for her!
    That's a beautiful finish, especially on the fabric.
    Wishing you a Happy New Year, and lots of stitching.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for any comments!

April Catch-Up!

Hello all! Busy month of April up here in the Northeastern US. First the big total solar eclipse on April 8, that was amazing! I've neve...