Tuesday, February 8, 2022

Beijing Winter Olympics 2022 Days 1-4

Here we are again! The Olympics are well underway and I do have to admit the Winter Olympics are my favourite. Don't forget to check out how Rachel is doing on her Winter Olympics focus piece as well! If you're joining, please let us know. 

If you've been a long-time follower you know I play hockey and watching this kind of hockey on the international stage is always exciting. Today in Beijing the US team and Canada played a round robin game, meaning this will see where they are set for the medal round. If you've watched women's hockey at the Olympics at all, you'll know that the USA and Canada teams are usually ranked 1 and 2. I think they've always played each other for the gold medal and I can't look at who's won more often right now because it will give me the results of today's game and I haven't watched it yet! I couldn't stay up last night because of work today, but I'll watch it as soon as I get this post up. 


And there's been plenty of other interesting things afoot, including controversy from China. I tend to avoid politics here, but a very small amount of effort will show you many articles of problems with these Olympics. 

Another competition I love watching is speed skating. It's so dangerous and tense to watch short track and there's lots of crazy things that can happen in any race. The men's 1000m final had some tense moments when they had a restart and a Hungarian skater finished first, but was ultimately disqualified for 2 faults. The live action looked like the Chinese skater was pulling him back, but if you watch the replay, the Hungarian skater deliberately skated into the Chinese skater's path and tried an arm bar on him. So the result was called well, as were most that I saw, women's and men's. I sure wouldn't want to be the judge though! 



I watched a few new events, both mixed doubles, curling and ski jumping. I don't know if they could be more different! Very entertaining and the surprising result is Canadians medaled in ski jumping and not in curling. Curling is huge in Canada. I've never actually tried it, but my mom used to and DH's step-dad curls and maintains the ice at his local rink. The ice is not smooth like on a skating rink, you have to use a fine spray with a hose to make tiny little bumps all over the ice. That's what the people using brooms are doing, trying to smooth those bumps so the rock will curl in the direction they want. 


I've been watching a lot of the snowboard and freestyle skiing events as well, so many amazing things happening! I hope you've all been enjoying it if you're watching. 

On to stitching though, I've managed almost 1500 more stitches into Mini Winter Magic so far:

I have passed the halfway point on this one, so only a little over 20K stitches to go. Not possible in these next few weeks, but hopefully another few thousand before the end. 

I hope you're all staying well and having good stitching days!

Happy Stitching,

Tiffstitch

5 comments:

  1. Love your round up so far. Over here, curling is more of a Scottish thing, so without the Scots, GB probably wouldn't have a team! I haven't caught much ice hockey but knew you'd be watching it.
    Great work on MWM so far; 20k in the next 13 days might be possible if you're lucky!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tiffstitch: Lots of progress on Winter Magic.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  3. More than halfway is great! Hope you can get in lots more stitches during the Olympics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun video! I didn't know about the bumps.
    Wow, already half way, yay!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great progress on the dragonlings! I think as for winter spots, ski jumping is biggest around here. There are a couple big international tournaments close to where I live every year.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for any comments!

April Catch-Up!

Hello all! Busy month of April up here in the Northeastern US. First the big total solar eclipse on April 8, that was amazing! I've neve...