Thursday, June 20, 2019

Stitchy Quest for the One Ring Catch-Up


Last time (May 30, yikes!) I left you with some choices still unstitched for the Meet the Dwarves Quest. The colours remaining were purple (x2), blue and yellow.

For the purple (Dori and Nori) I pulled out an old WIP, Land of the Dinosaurs. It was last here in May 2018:
and now:
Land of the Dinosaurs WOXS October 2015
stitched 2 over 2 on 32ct Jobelan Summer Sky as charted

Blue for Kili - I pulled out Dimensions Joy Snowglobe and had just enough blue! It's now here:

Yellow for Bofur - Evening in the Shire got some work again, very appropriately I think in this group, and is now here:
Evening in the Shire by Cute Patterns by Maria
stitched 2 over 2 on 28ct Moonscapes by Jodyri with charted DMC

I'm not a confetti stitcher by nature, so going this far away from the other stitching is always a little nerve-wracking for me. Hopefully I've counted correctly and don't have to pull the lower bit all out again. 

I managed to complete all the colours and the 1300+ stitches for this task. It was interesting to find all the different colours on projects and pull out something that hadn't been touched in a year.

Hobbit Quest 4 - A Musical Interlude

I think the group admin is a Dungeons and Dragons fan as well as a Tolkien fan because we've had more and more dice rolling challenges come up lately. This quest relates to the music in the books. I'm a fan of the music, especially given my long history of listening to the Hobbit TV show on tape before bed.

This is the story of how the dwarves lost the mountain to Smaug I think. Please let me know if you notice otherwise.

There were 2 options for this quest. If you like the music, first stitch 200 stitches on a project you don't want to end, then roll a six-sided die and if you get 3 or above, stitch 200 more stitches, if you get 1 or 2, you're done. If you have to stitch more, then you roll again, same rules, basically keep stitching 200 stitch segments until you roll a 1 or 2.

The second option, if you don't like the music, is to pick up something that is annoying or frustrating you in some way, stitch 300 stitches, and roll a six-sided die. If you get 3 or above, you're done, if you roll a 1 or 2, stitch another 300 stitches and continue until you roll the higher numbers.

I picked up Princess and the Dragon and managed to get here after 2 sets of 200 stitches:
Princess and the Dragon by Charting Creations
stitched 1 over 1 on 28ct Amarinthine by Chromatic Alchemy

I enjoy this project very much, and despite the size, it's never a drag to work on. It's always enjoyable, even the filling in bits.

Hobbit Quest 5 - A Tale of Loss

This is the current task, which ends tomorrow. It's the part of The Hobbit when Bilbo learns about the dwarves ancestral home in the Lonely Mountain and how Smaug stole it away from them. For this quest, we had to roll a twenty-sided die (see where the D&D is from?) and multiply that number by 100 to find out how many stitches we had to stitch. The interesting part this time was we could chose how many stitches on each project, but at least 20 on each.

The projects are:

1) The People of Dale - this was a town on Long Lake and many villagers lost their lives when Smaug invaded. We had to stitch something with a person on it. I worked on Universal Monsters and got a fair bit done, 736 stitches:
Universal Monsters SAL by Witchy Stitcher
stitched 2 over 2 on 28ct Al's Dark Magic by Chromatic Alchemy

2) For the dwarves that love dark places, stitch on dark thread or fabric. I stitched a little bit of this, the left border for 36 stitches:


3) Treasure lost for Smaug stealing the dwarves treasure is to stitch beads or metallics. I pulled out Letters from Nora L and got a finish! (70 beads)
Letters from Nora - L by Nora Corbett
stitched 2 over 2 on 32?ct linen as charted except a few changes for what was available in beads

4) The Secret Door - we learn of a secret door on a map so we needed to stitch on a project with a door. I had some trouble with this as apparently I don't have many projects with doors. I settled on Ocean Curiosity which has a tiny little door in the castle:
and put in 87 stitches:
stitched 2 over 1 on 16ct aida from Colour Cascade Fabrics

5) Map - because there is a map to get into Lonely Mountain. I struggled a bit, but the quest info said "any justification will be accepted", so I said that Universal Monsters was like a map of each room with the cut-thru appearance and put in another 81 stitches:

And that catches us up till the next quest! some of this might be repeated from my previous post, but it's in nice little bits now :) 

Happy Stitching! 

Tiffstitch

p.s. stay tuned for the School of Magical Stitches update too!

8 comments:

  1. I just following your ideas for this. Plus beautiful stitching progress. Great work!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your choices for the challenges and you're getting so much stitching done, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I'm ever going to tire of watching you pick and stitch projects to fit in with each category. Funny that you said you don't have many projects with doors when The Shire has quite a big one (although you'd already used that so maybe wanted a different project?) Now looking forward to your HP update! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such fun posts Tiffany. I really enjoy reading them and seeing all the projects you work on and the awesome progress.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda. :) I wish I was better at keeping up with the posts about them, but I'll keep trying.

      Delete
  5. Fabulous work on all your tasks. It's so nice for us to see a variety of projects too. I also love the idea of using the different dice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Universal Monsters had lots of attention and your progress definitely shows.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great progress, especially on the monsters SAL. I kind of enjoy the 'throw the dice to determine the number of stitches tasks', but then they yet have to majorly screw me over, so that might change.
    I don't know if it's just me, but I also really enjoy how slowly this is going compared to the Magical Stitches group...six quests in and we haven't even left the shire yet! Really gives you time to appreciate the story.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for any comments!

Catch-up Post and Mischievous March

Hello again, things conspired so I didn't get a chance to put a post up, but I have been stitching. I also remembered to pick up my Misc...