Saturday, July 24, 2021

2021 Tokyo Olympics Stitching Challenge Start #2

Hello again! I hope everyone who's interested has had a chance to enjoy some of their favourite sports in the Olympics, or outside of the Olympics. For today's sport fact I chose a sport I played in high school and really loved, what I call field hockey, although most of the rest of the world just calls it "hockey" and calls what I call hockey "ice hockey". 


I used the pictogram for the sport after learning in the opening ceremonies that Japan invented these for the 1964 Olympics. Even if you have no interest in the opening ceremonies, you may want to try and find the section where they acted all 50 of these out, it was hilarious and amazing! 

Back to field hockey, which was introduced to the Olympics in 1908 with 6 teams competing. In 1924 it disappeared because a lack of international presence/interest? But that helped the fans and athletes form an international hockey committee and from 1928 on, it's always been in the Olympics. Naturally (?) it was only for men until 1980! 1980? I swear my sister played it in high school around then, so that's way too late to add it, but at least it did get added eventually. 

And on to more fun things than the patriarchy, another new start! 

I'm going international today, for no particular reason, and I believe this is my second pattern from this designer:

I think I chose this one after I had purchased this amazing rainbow BeStitchMe fabric. I don't think it's quite long enough to get all the colours, but I started in the middle to try and get as much colour change as I can. Here's the 435 stitches added last night:
Ondulations by Jardin Prive
stitched on 28ct rainbow gradient by BeStitchMe as charted

I plan to leave the colours alone. I was debating about a full silhouette, but went with DH's advice to keep it coloured. This will definitely take a while to finish, even if there's mostly black to it. 

I hope you've all had a good day and are staying healthy. 

Happy Stitching!

Tiffstitch


12 comments:

  1. Hockey looks like such a lethal sport, both on the field and on ice, but is great for teamwork of course. To be honest, I don't know how the umpires/referees can see what's going on as it all happens so fast!
    Another lovely start; the patchwork fields are really effective. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Women's ice hockey doesn't have the fighting that you get with men's, and there's no checking, so less likelihood of injury. It's still pretty fast though. And one of my teammates got cracked in the head with a field hockey stick in high school, so that one always seemed worse to me. At least you have pads on the ice. Thank you!

      Delete
  2. Great start Tiff. Love this one.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I might catch up to your starts someday. :)

      Delete
  3. Tiff: This is a very pretty design.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's an amazing pattern on the perfect fabric!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love how it's looking so far. Sort of like a sunset or sunrise feel.

      Delete
  5. What fun fabric, that will look fantastic on it!
    I must admit, I haven't seen any of the Olympics yet, I keep thinking I'll look at later but haven't yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I do love watching all the different sports that you never hear about otherwise, handball, fencing, archery, etc.

      Delete
  6. We played hockey at school, at least you got a weapon to defend yourself! Women have played it here for years, more than men really. Men play rugby. Where do you think the phrase "jolly hockey sticks" come from!
    Anyway, love the Undulations design. Giant flowers, tiny houses, perfect fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not all that familiar with that phrase actually. And probably imagined ice hockey sticks if I heard it. :) I played goalie when we played in high school, so I had the added protection of pads as well.

      Delete

Thanks for any comments!

April Catch-Up!

Hello all! Busy month of April up here in the Northeastern US. First the big total solar eclipse on April 8, that was amazing! I've neve...