Thursday, July 29, 2021

2021 Tokyo Olympics Stitching Challenge Start #7

Here we are at Day 7! That means a week since the Opening Ceremonies, and if you haven't had a chance to see the pictogram section, I found a video on YouTube. 



It was so funny, and I hope you enjoy it. 

Today I thought I'd talk about one of other sports I've played, but not one of the most action-packed events. Golf. This wasn't always in the Olympics, it was played in 1900 and 1904, and then not again until 2016! Interestingly, in 1904, the event was won by a Canadian, George Lyon. He and 2 other Canadians played against 31 Americans in an elimination style event. There were 12 nations at this Olympics (held in the USA), so I don't know why there weren't any other countries involved in this one. Also, check out the natty golf uniform:

I wasn't that great at golf, but enjoyed it when I had a chance to play. I haven't had a chance in many years now. DD has expressed an interest, so maybe we'll go out someday and see how she does. Another interesting fact, both men and women competed in golf in all Olympics. 

I don't think they've started the golf tourney yet this year, at least I haven't seen any info on it, and it's one of those games where I don't mind watching highlights. :)

Today's start is sort of a 1 of 3, as you'll see by the photo of the eventual finish:

And I got a good start on one ornament last night:
Joyeux Noel by Hands on Design
stitched 1 or 2 over 2 on 28ct Chromatic Alchemy (I forget the name!)
with DMC C321 (Etoile), DMC 310 and WDW Okeefenokee

I used up the last of my Okeefenokee on this one, so the other ornaments will be more similar to the picture of the design. They only call for 2 colours, but I've had this strand of Okeefenokee hanging around and wanted to use it up. I like the look, but I like the look of just 2 colour as well. 

These will likely be for DH's family since they all speak French as their first language. I've had this for a few years now and only needed a good excuse to get them started. Thank you again Rachel!

I hope you're all staying healthy and Happy Stitching!

Tiffstitch

4 comments:

  1. Golf really feels like a competition that doesn't need to be divided in men and women, doesn't it? Personally though, I only played mini golf so far!
    Another great start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apart from the fact that men are taller, with longer, stronger arms and can hit the ball faster and further!
      This is why women's categories are so important. Otherwise men will dominate all sports. Except horse riding which is the only mixed sport, as far as I am aware. Because the horse does all the work LOL

      Delete
  2. I did a Google! Apparently the Russo-Japan war caused international tensions. Add to the fact that it was difficult to get to St Louis and the event took months, seems to have put people off going!
    https://www.history.com/news/8-unusual-facts-about-the-1904-st-louis-olympics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you! It's good to understand the reasons and clearly not the only time international tensions have affected who attends the Olympics.

      Delete

Thanks for any comments!

Catch-up Post and Mischievous March

Hello again, things conspired so I didn't get a chance to put a post up, but I have been stitching. I also remembered to pick up my Misc...