Monday, April 6, 2020

Spring Into Summer New Start Binge #1 - In the Groaning?

This past weekend we started the Spring Into Summer New Start Binge, an idea Rachel and I came up with after trying to decide how to deal with life and the cancellation of the Tokyo Olympics. We decided to turn the 17 new starts planned for that July event into a few months long weekend event instead. If you're interested, please join in with WIPs or new starts as well. :)

Rachel and I both had decided to start some Whispered by the Wind charts, and we both had In the Gloaming, so we started with that one:

If you're read Rachel's post, you'll already know this wasn't the simple start with few colours we imagined.

I had started by stitching a black crow on the Friday evening, April 4th:
stitched 2 over 2 on PTP Mirage, called for fabric with DMC 310

Before I started stitching Saturday, I heard from Rachel that the called for colours seemed awfully dark and brownish, not the yellows shown in the photo of the chart. I checked my kit and had a yellow conversion, so tried that and sent a photo to Rachel. 


She had already checked the colours and didn't think they'd work, I thought I'd give it a shot and see if it looked better stitched. Naturally, she was correct and it was just a little too bright. Rachel came up with another combo, so I tried that as well after frogging all of the above except the lightest 3866 and 728, one of the conversion colours. 

Our next combo was 3828, 422 and 728. 

This was okay, but the 422 and 3828 were quite close. So Rachel tried 738 for the 2nd darkest colour and that seems like it will work better. I'm debating about when to switch, right after this upper triangle bit, or after the darker "ruffled" edge on the mausoleum. I'll figure it out. 

I hope your weekend stitching was more successful and had less frogging than ours!

Happy Stitching!

Tiffstitch


9 comments:

  1. This is a lovely design, I do not celebrate Halloween but love to see what everyone is working on, I love the black birds.
    I too would have changed the yellow color.
    I am looking forward to your progress.
    Stay Healthy

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read Rachel's post too, what a chore with the colours but what fun to work it out together. I'm looking forward to seeing your projects grow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read about your tribulations on Rachel's blog. Those yellows really are not right at all. The black crow looks good though.
    I got a small start on Friday. A Just Nan so I have enough for Maynia this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job you two could get your heads together and come up with a solution. Looking forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are SOOOO much braver than me! I am WAY too chicken to change pattern colors! You guys are doing a good job of pickin 'em though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great piece for Halloween! I like the changes you two are working out, just get rid of that frog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a bit late reading this so it brought back all those wonderful(!) memories of frogging and trawling through my thread boxes over and over again! I'm so glad it hasn't made us fall out of love with it though; that would have been more of a disaster than the frogging! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a wonderful design and I'm happy you were able to make the colours work in the end :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun design. How frustrating how the colors looked. Love the way the crow turned out.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for any comments!

2021 Tokyo Paralympics Wrap-Up

Finally I'm back after a rough weekend. I had a lot of hopes for that 3 days off, but spent most of it with a severe migraine, so didn&#...