Tuesday, February 6, 2024

Start of February 2024

Here we are again, so far posting once a week is sticking, so I'll try and keep up with it. I've definitely missed it, and feel like I'm maybe in a better mental space to keep up with it and stitching now too. I did get a lot of knitting in this past week, so we'll start with that. 

I managed another knit finish, although this is a terrible photo. 

Vanilla shortie socks in Christmas Robin colourway by WYS

These are very slightly smaller than the ones for my mom. DD's feet are already a size 6ish, so she's on her way to get to 9 like me probably, if not more. 

I also finished a scarf in the Boa yarn that was from my Grandma's yarn stash and still smells like her. I forgot to take a photo though and have put it away for now. When I remember I will get it out again.

I started a new scarf:


This is the Wiglaf scarf and you can find it on Ravelry. I'm using slightly less contrasting colours than they use in their model, but these yarns spoke to me when I was stash diving. I'm trying to actively use up stash this year as much as I can. 

I also got distracted by the PWHL hat, a free pattern on Ravelry The model is in the colours of the Montreal women's hockey team, and a friend I used to play hockey with and I were discussing what colours to use. Neither of us had picked a favourite team yet, Montreal and Boston are the closest ones to me, and the Detroit Red Wings are her favourite team, but there's no Detroit team yet. So, we came up with using our old team colours from the London Devilettes. They're similar to the New Jersey Devil colours at the time, so they're red and green predominantly. Here's where I'm at so far:
PWHL team hat by Sydney Gerzymisch
in Berroco Ultra Wool in a deep red, green and cream (although it looks white here)

I did have to buy this yarn, but it's quite inexpensive and the hat is knitting up fairly quickly if you don't count the colourwork. I'm not great at it and might watch some videos about how to hide the floats better. You can sort of see the vertical lines in the white, and those are where I caught the floats behind. You have to bring along the alternate colour with the other colour, and catch it every so often. I'm maybe not doing it correctly, but this hat is my practice piece and I'll work on improving. I will definitely make more of these. Any extra support they get will hopefully keep the league going. 

Finally, on to some cross stitch. After debating about what project to start on given the disappointment with the last one, I decided to pull out a dragon to go with Chinese New Year. You may remember seeing this one on and off over the years. This is where I started:
and one night got me here:
Do Not Meddle by Dragon Dreams
stitched 1x1 full cross on 28ct white with recommended DMC

I have some hope of actually getting this one finished and sent to the recipient this year. I won't say it will happen this month since there's still a lot of the month left to get through. I enjoyed the stitching though, so I think I finally made my progressive glasses strong enough for 28ct now. ;) I believe I started it back when I didn't need the extra magnification. 

I hope you've all been having a good week!

Happy Stitching, 

Tiffstitch




10 comments:

  1. Lovely knitting, it's something I can't do. Good luck with Do not Meddle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tiffstitch: Your knitting is beautiful, the socks are adorable, love the hat and the colors.
    Nice progress on the Dragon design.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great progress overall, I love seeing your knitting! I haven't done a lot of colourwork yet but what I did also looked a little wonky because of the floats. They are hard to get just right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to make another one for a friend, so I'll watch some videos to see if there's anything I can do differently. Colourwork is definitely a challenge! Thank you.

      Delete
  4. Fantastic to hear you are doing good and enjoying blogging and your hobbies again. Believe me I get it completely. The knitting and your stitching looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your dragon! I’m wearing hand-knitted socks today. My friend made them for me for Christmas. She knits a tube and then takes a row out and adds the heel in afterwards!
    Serendipitous Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have tried that a few times as well. I can never decide what I like better. I've worn some so much they've developed holes, so I'll keep working on it. Glad you have some to wear!

      Delete

Thanks for any comments!

April Catch-Up!

Hello all! Busy month of April up here in the Northeastern US. First the big total solar eclipse on April 8, that was amazing! I've neve...