Friday, March 22, 2019

School of Magical Stitches and Literature Year 3, Weeks 1 and 2

Hi everyone! I'm going to try and do at least weekly updates of my stitching and "homework" from the School of Magical Stitches and Literature (Facebook).

It's currently Week 4 of Year 3 (Prisoner of Azkaban). Year 3 is going to be spread through March and April and we have weekly "homework" as well as extra credit we can work on throughout both months. I'm going to sum up the first few weeks so you get the idea and can kind of catch up to where I'm at in my stitching.

The weeks go from Monday morning about 3amEDT till the following Sunday. One of the mods/organizers is on the West Coast of the USA, so we go by her schedule. In Week 1, this was the first weekend in March, it started on Friday, March 1st. That meant we only had 3 days to stitch! The assignment had multiple parts and we were supposed to post a WIP list prior to the homework assignment. If we had (I did), then we could choose to stitch 300 stitches on Project #13 on our list, or 150 stitches in our 1st and 3rd projects if we had less than 12, or 350 stitches total if you only had a couple projects. And if you hadn't posted a list, you were supposed to stitch 600 stitches.

Year 3, Week 1

My list was:

And I had clumped all the Letters from Nora together for numbers 13-16. I chose the L, since it was easier to get out than the others and it started here:
 and I got it to here after 300 stitches:
Letters from Nora - L with charted threads on unknown 28 ct fabric, 2 over 2

Backstitch counts 1/2 per stitch and beads count for 1, whether they're half stitch or full stitch.

Year 3, Week 2

The next week we had to get some supplies in Diagon Alley. I liked this challenge a lot because you could choose anything that could be found in Diagon Alley and stitch 250 stitches on a project containing that item, even if you didn't stitch on the item itself. Someone brilliantly asked if lacewings for potion work for fairy wings, and they were allowed, so my first project was to get out Letter L again.

And managed 250 stitches (as required) to get it to here:
It's practically complete at this point and just needs a few more beads between the fairy and the L and there are some butterfly beads there as well. One type has been discontinued, so I just purchased the ones to substitute from 123stitch and they should arrive in a week or so.

Then I thought of gold from Gringotts and pulled out Princess and the Dragon! It was last at here:
and 260 stitches later:
Princess and the Dragon by Charting Creations
Stitched on 28 ct Amarinthine by Chromatic Alchemy 1 over 1 DMC 310

It was so nice to get this one out again, and as Jo mentioned in a comment, it is easy to count these stitches on the silhouettes, just stitch rows of 10 vertically until you get close to the necessary numbers. I kept going until I had finished the last row, it looked too unfinished otherwise, so it got an extra 10 stitches. 

Lastly, I decided that dragon's blood would work for Tribal Dragon, which was here:
and this was a little over 250 stitches to finish the thread:
Tribal Dragon by White Willow Stitching
Stitched on 25 ct pewter Lugana 1 over 1 with Soie Cristal and Waterlilies/Kreinik

I'm hopeful this will be out a fair bit more during other challenges so I can get it completed. It's amazing how quickly just getting a few hundred stitches in a week can make these projects grow. 

I think I'll end here so I don't make this post too long to read. I hope everyone has had a good week and I'll try and get the next post up either later tonight or tomorrow to catch up to this week and be in good shape for the next homework assignment. 

Happy Stitching!

Tiffstitch




12 comments:

  1. It's good to see you making so much progress. I'm glad the homework assignments are working for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tiffany. I am so loving this group and getting so much stitching done. I joined the end of January. I'm in Ravenclaw. Awesome progress on all of your projects. Looking forward to seeing the next group.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Although you always get a lot of stitching done. I'm in Ravenclaw as well! :)

      Delete
  3. All these different homework tasks are probably not as complicated as they first sound! They are definitely ensuring projects get worked on and it seems that you are an A* student in that regard! Keep up the good work; your progress has been amazing so far this year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tiffany: You have your hands full with stitching, I am looking forward to seeing the homework you do and how you progress.
    Your projects are lovely, that L initial is beautiful.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have explained it a lot better than most people haha. I've sure seen a lot of people joining in. I'm not really a Harry Potter fan so I'm just cheering you along. Whatever excuse you need to stitch I'm glad you have it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are certainly making lots of progress and fitting your projects in well. L is looking particularly stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous work, especially the tribal dragon. I feel these homeworks are easier for people who stitch a lot of fantasy already!
    I would be a Ravenclaw if I was a Potter fan. I'm a bookseller, it's almost compulsory!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Look at you go, homework agrees with you! Great progress on all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. All of the beautiful stitching you have done! I always find it amazing how much 200 stitches is in coverage :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Magical Stitches group is awesome...it's so much fun to dig out older WIPs just to meet the homework goals, and see how fast you can actually progress. What house did you get sorted in?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for any comments!

Mischievous March Wrap-Up

I managed to start 5 projects this past month, even if I didn't get that much progress on any of them.  First up are the Sweet Annet sta...