Monday, December 19, 2022

2022 Advent Calendar Blog Hop

Hello, hello! I have had almost no stitching time this year, but decided to try and at least participate in Jo's amazing Advent blog hop. 


This year she's asked us to discuss what we have for "afters" or dessert. This has changed as I've become an adult, but it was quite varied as a child. When I was young, 3 families would gather at my grandparents house for present opening and Christmas dinner (in the evening). After dinner, there would be the choice of Christmas pudding, served with brandy, pumpkin pie and the "cookie tray". If you haven't had the cookie tray, that is still my favourite part of Christmas. There are so many different varieties of cookies and squares and Grandma would start making them in early December. They'd sit out on the porch where it stayed cool all month and on Christmas Eve they'd finally start to be brought out. 


My absolute favourite cookie we called snowdrops. It was basically meringue stuffed with chocolate chips. I've tried to make them a few times, but it doesn't always come out correctly. It's supposed to sort of melt in your mouth and I have made them chewy a few times. 

As I've become an adult and live far away from my family, we tend to have squash pie made with butternut squash. Also pecan pie sometimes or vegan cheesecake with cashews. We haven't really had a cookie tray so much as generally we make gingerbread cookies, but that's about all the variety we have. Time is a big factor for me to be able to make anything. 

I can't wait to read about what everyone else has for afters!

And now to a brand new finish, almost fully finished:
Mill Hill Snow Globe
MH16-1931 Santa Globe
stitched as charted with 3 strands floss and included beads

I hope you all have a very merry holiday, however you celebrate it!

Happy Stitching and stay well!

Tiffstitch

16 comments:

  1. Thanks for taking part in the Advent Calendar Blog Hop this year. Your Santa Snow Globe is lovely.
    The cookie tray sounds delicious! I wondered how did you stop the birds from eating them when they were out on the porch? Then I thought they were probably in tins? It's only in cartoons where they put the pie on the windowsill to cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh, I should have mentioned, it was a screened in porch. It had plastic up on the screens as well so no snow would ruin the porch furniture. So it was only the grandchildren she had to worry about. :)

      Delete
  2. Like the snow globe idea. and the cookie tray sounds like a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the snow globe patterns and the real one too, great to try making the best snow storm with it! Cookies are the great winner this advent as afters! Not ready to give up my piece of bûche de Noël! Joyeuses fêtes de Noël ! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyeuses fêtes de Noël! J'adore la buche de Noël. La famille de mon mari font toujours.

      Delete
  4. Merry Christmas Tiffstitch: I like the snow globe, so adorable, I love anything made with squash, yummy in my tummy.
    I have never heard of the snowdrops; do you have a recipe you would like to share if possible.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're so delicious. I'll try and email you the recipe.

      Delete
  5. Happy Christmas Tiffstitch! They sound wonderful times, and the snowdrops sound quite delicious! Never heard of a cookie tray but it sounds a great idea! Such a pretty snow globe.
    Hugs, Barbara (The Flashing Scissors)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the cookie tray is a big deal in Canada and the US I think around the holidays. Shortbread, snowdrops, rocky road squares, and so much more. Thank you!

      Delete
  6. Lovely Christmas memories, you can't go wrong with a cookie tray or even just gingerbread cookies!
    I love the snow globe ornament, this is one I haven't made yet.
    Happy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh fun! There are so many different ones. I found several I needed when the closest LNS was closing up shop. Thank you!

      Delete
  7. Aww your snow globe is so cute! I love how it looks 3D. What lovely memories of Christmas with your families. Cookies are the perfect "after"...you can snack with no dishes to wash! Have a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! The dishes were done long before for the cookies. Thank you!

      Delete
  8. It was lovely to hear from you, even though it's been a while!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your pretty snow globe, ideal for hanging on the tree. Your afters sound amazing, fancy being able to choose, as a child, from so many different dishes. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for any comments!

April Catch-Up!

Hello all! Busy month of April up here in the Northeastern US. First the big total solar eclipse on April 8, that was amazing! I've neve...