Sunday, August 8, 2021

2021 Tokyo Olympics Stitching Challenge Start #17

It's here, the Closing Ceremonies and the final start of this round of the Olympics. Today let's chat about what I think is the most underrated sport in the summer Olympics, water polo. If you can imagine soccer/football or even gridiron football played in water, that's a good estimate of how the game goes. 

This video describes how intense and difficult water polo is if you learn better visually. :)

There are 7 players to a side, 6 swimmers and a goalie/keeper. The object is to swim along the court, which can be 20-30m long! and try and score a goal in the opposing team's net. The players wear the protective caps to protect their ears, plus it shows their numbers for goals and penalties/fouls. Basically you have to swim the whole time, which can be 4 periods of 8 minutes long. There are short breaks after each period and at half time (after 2 periods). 

I'm an adequate swimmer, but I can't imagine trying to swim against an opposing team, and try and score goals, etc. Plus if you're the keeper you'd have to tread water the whole time. Kind of incredible and a very intense sport. 

Today's start is part of a series of Santas from Mill Hill. It will eventually look like this:

And my small start:
Nordic Santa by Mill Hill
stitched 3 over 1 on perforated paper as charted and included in kit

These don't have many colours, so I don't think it will take too long to finish this one. Maybe for Christmas? 

I hope you've all enjoyed these starts and Olympic information. Thank you so much for your wonderful comments!

Stay healthy and Happy Stitching!

Tiffstitch

10 comments:

  1. I love the Mill Hill designs, they have stitching and beads which I love adding to a design.
    This Santa is adorable.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  2. We should have an entire Swimming Olympics, with every sport played in the pool!
    It's been fun seeing all the new starts you have made over the last weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love watching the Olympic Games and can certainly appreciate the difficulties with water sports. Your lovely little Santa embroidery reminds me that soon I must start on something Christmasy too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And yes, it's time for the Christmas stuff already.

      Delete
  4. I'm not a strong swimmer, so water polo isn't something I'd ever try! I love your final start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've tried it when we all had inner tubes to float in, so it wasn't so challenging to stay afloat. Thank you!

      Delete
  5. Para Olympics starts this weekend! Is there a challenge for that?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for joining me during the Olympics with a great selection of new starts and fascinating information. Same again for Paris 2024? :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for any comments!

Mischievous March Wrap-Up

I managed to start 5 projects this past month, even if I didn't get that much progress on any of them.  First up are the Sweet Annet sta...