Sunday, August 29, 2021

2021 Tokyo Paralympics Stitching Challenge Start #6

Almost one week in! And halfway through the dragons. I think I have decided these will all be cut out of this one piece of fabric because their lengths and heights are so different. Individual ornament style finishes will look better I think. And possibly a month on the side or top or bottom depending on the way the dragon is charted. 

Today's fun Paralympic sport is 5-a-side football/soccer. The name really gives it away how different it is from the regular 11 vs. 11 of regular football/soccer. It's only played by visually impaired men, and again the ball makes sound so it can be followed. The goalies/keepers are allowed to be sighted. One thing I forgot to mention with goalball, is the crowd must be silent during gameplay and is only allowed to make noise after a goal. Otherwise the players cannot hear the ball. 

As you can guess, the field is much smaller than a typical soccer/football field and has boards on the sides to keep the ball in play. There are no throw-ins, etc. because of this addition. 


This is from Rio, but is the shortest highlight clip I could find. It should give you an idea. 

And onto today's dragon. Today is number 5, which will eventually look something like this:

Rachel has already started this one in a gorgeous grey/blue variegated thread, so make sure to check her start as well. 

Here's my smallish start for my June dragon:
Drake #5 by StitchItPicasso
stitched 1 over 1 on 20ct Fairyland opalescent Aida by Silkweaver
with Bright Lights by Jodyri

I wanted a little more saturated colour for June since that's when a lot of flowers really start to bloom up here in the Northeastern US. My peony bush that came with the house has a similar pink to some of this colour and it always shows best around mid-June. 

I hope you've all been staying healthy and had good weather over the weekend. 

Happy Stitching!

Tiffstitch

4 comments:

  1. Love that colour and the way the pink accentuates the eye. Makes me think of the fluttering eyelids of the dragon in Shrek!
    Yes, it's a shame the dragons aren't of similar-enough sizes to make them into a pattern on one piece of fabric. Hope you've left enough space between the ones you've stitched so far to allow enough of a margin to cut them out! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've been thinking about spacing and I think they'll all work out well. I don't mind individual ones because I think I might get more use out of them that way anyway. Thank you!

      Delete
  2. That's a pretty colour, and I love today's sport too! Really creative.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for any comments!

April Catch-Up!

Hello all! Busy month of April up here in the Northeastern US. First the big total solar eclipse on April 8, that was amazing! I've neve...