Tuesday, August 24, 2021

2021 Tokyo Paralympics Stitching Challenge Start #1

Well hello there! Anyone surprised Rachel and I decided to extend the starts through the Paralympics? :) I do have to blame thank Kate for the suggestion though, I don't know if I would have thought of more starts without her comment. Rachel had already been considering it though; when I emailed her she already something picked out to start. Once Rachel showed me what she thought she'd be stitching, I had to start the same projects, so we're SAL'ing 12 of the 13 new starts!

I thought I'd open with a little background on the Paralympics. They were first held in the summer in 1960 in Rome, Italy. Initially, only athletes in wheelchairs competed, but in 1976 they opened the games to people with other disabilities and the number of athletes quadrupled from 400 to 1600 competing. The Paralympics didn't used to be held in the same city as the Olympics. That changed in 1988 and now they're always held in the same city 2 weeks after the completion of the Olympic Games. 

For today's start, it will be one of these:

I think it's fairly obvious since I managed a decent start on this one:
Drake #9 by StitchItPicasso
stitched 1 over 1 on 20ct Fairyland opalescent aida by Silkweaver
with Blue Morpho Butterfly by Jodyri Designs


I'm still debating if I'm going to stitch these all to live on the fabric together or if they'll be individual. I had some idea of doing monthly colours, so this is January, sort of icy blue, dark for the short nights, etc. I'll have to decide placement for tomorrow's since I didn't finish this one, but I do love it so far!

I hope you're all staying well. 

Happy Stitching!

Tiffstitch

5 comments:

  1. So different from Rachel's, but I love the colors in this one too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely start, and opalescent fabric too. The colours are definitely reminiscent of a cold winter's night. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea, showing us some more pretty starts, and so fun you get to SAL them too!
    Somehow, I find the paralympics even more fascinating than the "real" Olympics. How do you decided who gets to compete against whom? It's not exactly easy to compare disabilities and how much of a 'handicap' they pose on the specific discipline. Maybe I'll learn a little more about them reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is quite fascinating how they have different levels for ability. I think cycling shows it best because some people can still ride an able-bodied bike, but might need a spotter on a tandem bike if they're visually disabled, or others use a hand crank bicycle because they can't use a conventional bike, etc.

      Delete

Thanks for any comments!

April Catch-Up!

Hello all! Busy month of April up here in the Northeastern US. First the big total solar eclipse on April 8, that was amazing! I've neve...