Monday, August 30, 2021

2021 Tokyo Paralympics Stitching Challenge Start #7

Today was full of rain and then heat and humidity. It was a strange, weather-filled day. It was a decent work day though and I managed to get a fair amount of work done, which is a nice change. Mostly it feels like it's one step forward and two steps back lately. 

I've seen today's Paralympic sport a few times in clips, and it's quite interesting how they adapted the sport for people with disabilities. I think in some ways it makes it much more difficult as well. 

Today, let's learn a bit about sitting volleyball. This game was first invented in 1956 in the Netherlands for injured soldiers. Eventually it was demonstrated in 1976 at the Summer Paralympic Games and became a full event at the next games in 1980. Both women and men have their own teams for this sport. There are many similarities to the able-bodied version as well. 



What do you think? I think it's almost more difficult not to be able to move around. I played volleyball in school as well and enjoyed it. I couldn't charge the net or block anything, but I had a good serve. 

Today's dragon is another one Rachel has started already. She chose some gorgeous purples for this one, so check out her blog post as well. 

I had another small start on this one. The way it's been going lately, I get home, stitch a thread length and then put the blog post up. I sometimes manage another thread length before bed though, so they are getting a little more work each day. 

Drake #8 by StitchItPicasso
stitched 1 over 1 on 20ct Fairyland opalescent Aida by Silkweaver
with O Christmas Tree by Jodyri

I had to find something with some red in it for July for Canada Day. I decided against a variegated red and kept with the really different colours I've been using so far. I'd like to get more of the thread of the month threads I had collected from Jodyri in use, so this is a great way to do it. 

I hope you all had some good stitching weather and are staying well!

Happy Stitching,

Tiffstitch

5 comments:

  1. Nice start, I am looking forward to seeing the Dragons all finished.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always sucked at playing volley ball standing up and can't imagine doing it sitting down. It's really impressive what those athletes do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to play in high school and I can't imagine trying to get any strength into volleys while having to sit.

      Delete
  3. How different the dragons look in the different colours. Love the colour combinations in this one. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for any comments!

Catch-up Post and Mischievous March

Hello again, things conspired so I didn't get a chance to put a post up, but I have been stitching. I also remembered to pick up my Misc...