Thursday, August 26, 2021

2021 Tokyo Paralympics Stitching Challenge Start #3

Day 3 and I hope you've been checking out the gorgeous colours of threads and fabric Rachel has been using for her dragons. 

Today's Paralympic sport is Boccia. It's played by athletes with motor disabilities and is similar to bocce ball or lawn bowling. There's a white ball called a jack that is thrown into the pitch and both teams aim at the jack. The team that has the most balls closest to the jack scores points. There are 4 or 6 ends, depending on individual or team events. Here's a video of how it's played:


Has anyone ever played bocce ball or lawn bowling? I forget why, but when I was younger we had a lawn bowling tournament for family and friends at my grandparents house. It was always over the Canada Day weekend (July 1st). We had a trophy and everything. My dad had to add on more levels to the trophy because we played it for so many years. I think it was maybe just going to be a one-time thing, but ended up being an annual event we all enjoyed. This was all pre 2002, so I don't have easy access to any photos. We stopped playing when my Grandpa died in 2002. We called our trophy the Lauder Cup because that was my great-grandfather's middle name and the motto of our tournament was in Latin. I think you can figure it out though: "non fartum at deliverum"

On to today's dragon! It's in some nice Irish colours I found in my Jodyri stash:
Drake # 7 by StitchItPicasso
stitched 1 over 1 on 20ct Fairyland opalescent aida by Silkweaver
with Diligence by Jodyri

You may be able to tell this is the same dragon Rachel stitched first. I stitched it a little differently because I'm spreading mine out on one piece of fabric and wanted to be sure I had room for the next one. 

I'm still loving these, they're a relaxing stitch so far. I hope you're all staying well!

Happy Stitching, 

Tiffstitch

4 comments:

  1. Amazing how anything can become Latin by just adding -um at the end! Sounds like it was a great annual event; maybe you could reintroduce it?
    Lovely threads and on your new start. Shamrock green and gold together are perfect for March. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? It was a lot of fun. I'm not anywhere near the rest of my family, so it wouldn't be the same, but could be something to try here. It's just an excuse to get together after all. Thank you!

      Delete
  2. I think I played bocce with my dad once, many years ago. How fun how some very interesting sports make an appearance in the paralympics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, I didn't realize this was in the Olympics, but it's definitely something a lot of people with different abilities can enjoy and compete in.

      Delete

Thanks for any comments!

April Catch-Up!

Hello all! Busy month of April up here in the Northeastern US. First the big total solar eclipse on April 8, that was amazing! I've neve...