Saturday, August 28, 2021

2021 Tokyo Paralympics Stitching Challenge Start #5

It's been a strange couple of days, but I did finally manage to get dragon number five started! It was so hot 2 days ago that I didn't get much stitching in, then that night the cat was restless, so I had very little sleep. I didn't stitch at all last night and was just able to get a full thread length in tonight before posting. 

Today's paralympic sport is nicknamed "murderball". If you've never heard of that, it's official name is wheelchair rugby. You're allowed to tackle, despite the wheelchairs, and different levels of disability mean players are ranked from 3.5 to 0.5 depending on functional ability. The entire team can't exceed 8 points. It's also mixed-gender, so anyone can play. 

This video is from the London games so you can get an idea of how it's played:

Also, did anyone catch the New Zealand rugby team doing their haka?

I don't know about you, but I'd be intimidated!

Speaking of that, here's today's magnificent dragon:

And my insignificant start:
Drake #4 by StitchItPicasso
stitched 1 over 1 on 20ct Fairyland opalescent Aida by Silkweaver
with Queen of the Nile by Jodyri

I liked this thread as a sort of emerging into spring colours. Yellows and purple for daffodils and crocuses and green/blue for leaves or buds. 

I'm still enjoying these although I keep being tempted by other options. Durene Jones is having a sale for another day on her Etsy store, plus I picked up the Just CrossStitch Halloween magazine. And I still haven't managed any stitching on Animal Kingdom this month. It was just too hot and I didn't want to stitch on something that will stick around for a few years and risk damaging it. 

It is cooling off today and I think we're done with the real heat this year. I hope you're all having nice weather where you are and staying well. 

Happy Stitching,

Tiffstitch

6 comments:

  1. I'm really enjoying the wheelchair rugby. Have you seen the damage to their chairs?!
    Your dragon has 2/3rds of a wing, so that's a good start, and the colour is gorgeous. I'd say start what you want for this challenge, even if it means purchasing new stash! Fun is the most important factor. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know I agree with starting whatever you want. :) That is a rough game. Able-bodied rugby looks rough, but this is much more intense.

      Delete
  2. This is an amazing sport, The Haka is actually a beautiful tradition, I really enjoyed it, thank-you for sharing with us.
    Beautiful Dragon, nice start on your next Dragon.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and I was very impressed by the haka as well.

      Delete
  3. We're having a bit of late summer heat here ourselves, but not too much for stitching! Great new start.
    I don't know about you, but somehow I find the thought of a rugby player in a wheelchair tackling me even more intimidating than being tackled by a running one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, exactly! There's a lot of angles and hard bits in those chairs. Thank you!

      Delete

Thanks for any comments!

April Catch-Up!

Hello all! Busy month of April up here in the Northeastern US. First the big total solar eclipse on April 8, that was amazing! I've neve...