Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Top 10 Tuesdays: Top 10 Songs of Summer

Here we are again, another top 10 Tuesday! I really need to figure out how to add the button to my blog. But for now I'll link again to Kate and Keeble's blogs so you can check out their picks. I'm guessing Keeb's will be heavy on Duran Duran, but check it out to see!

TOP 10 SONGS OF SUMMER

I was checking over my playlists and although I tend to listen to a lot of 90s music there are a few others on there. This summer however, I listened to the new Meghan Trainor album (Title) a lot! She uses several different styles in her songs and I like every song I heard. 

Some will get you up and dancing and others will let you mellow out and relax. Since that's mostly what I listened to this summer I'm going to pick my top 10 songs from the album. 

1. All About That Bass

I love this song. It doesn't matter how many times I've heard it, I still love it. 

2. Lips Are Movin'

This one is pretty fantastic as well, and I love her costumes in the video. 

3. Dear Future Husband

I love the doo-wop of this one with its modern lyrics and like many of her songs, it's also about respecting women. What's not to love about this:
You got that 9 to 5
But, baby, so do I
So don't be thinking I'll be home and baking apple pies

4. Close Your Eyes

This is a beautiful, powerful ballad. Like All About That Bass it also talks about body image and that the listener is perfect and beautiful exactly as they are. 
Everybody's born to be different
That's the one thing that makes us the same
So don't you let their words try to change you
Don't let them make you, into something you ain't... No!

5. Bang Dem Sticks

I dare you not to tap your foot to this one! I love the rock and hip-hop in this one and in high school I did date a drummer, so this has a little extra meaning to me as well. As in, I know what this means:
He could do the paradiddle
With a little bit of samba

6. Mr. Almost

The rhythm in this song is similar to All About That Bass in feel, at least to me, and again I like the sentiment. It feels like a familiar thing that many women go through, where they find an almost-perfect guy and you have to decide to make the break, even though it seems like the perfect relationship. 

7. Title

Okay, tell me if anyone hasn't been here. You're with someone you think of as your partner and get introduced as a "friend". I love the strength in this song and the "don't-mess-with-me" attitude. I wish I had this kind of confidence when I was that young. 

8. What If I

Another really great ballad. I love Meghan Trainor's voice and it feels like she can do a lot of different things with it. Although that might have been what led to her vocal cord hemorrhaging and eventual surgery? Anyway, I was reading that this song is about making the choice to have sex on your first date. I never realized that until I read it, so I think you should make your own decision about how the song makes you feel. I will continue to enjoy listening to it. 

9. Walkashame

This one is just funny. I haven't ever had this experience myself, but I know a few friends who have and think the song does a good job of finding the humour in what can be an embarrassing situation. 

10. 3AM

Picking the last one was a tough decision. I really do enjoy listening to the entire album, either all in a row or on shuffle. 3AM is similar to Walkashame in that you're doing something you're not exactly happy you did, but you don't seem to be able to stop yourself. I enjoy the fact she's taken aspects of life that happen to a lot of people and made excellent songs about it. 

If you get the chance to listen to the entire album, go for it. You won't regret it. 

Thanks for checking out my list and think about joining us for next week!

Tiffstitch



6 comments:

  1. I have heard of this girl, but never heard any of her songs. I listened to each song you posted (or at least parts of them), but it all sounded the same to me...OMG, I am my mother! How did that happen! I DON'T WANT TO BE OLD! My initial thought was that I will buy this album tonight and force myself to listen until I like it, but then I realized that I haven't bought the remastered Tears For Fears Seeds of Love album yet and that takes precedence. I guess I must embrace my oldness after all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even the ballads sounded the same? Give it a shot after Tears For Fears, and maybe listening to them in order helps? They're not in order on my list.

      Delete
  2. I actually selected one of her songs - Lips are movin - for my list! I like the messages in her songs too and the ballad is really good. I do agree a bit that some tracks are samey but you get that will all artists whoever they are. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, and the same themes run through them which may be part of why I like them so much.

      Delete
  3. I love her too. It's nice to see someone who isn't "model" looking be fantastic.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for any comments!

Catch-up Post and Mischievous March

Hello again, things conspired so I didn't get a chance to put a post up, but I have been stitching. I also remembered to pick up my Misc...