Thursday, May 23, 2019

School of Magical Stitches Catch-up Post


As I mentioned in my last post, there was a bit of an upheaval in the School of Magical Stitches and Literature. The admins/mods had a disagreement on the tasks and how things were handled and one of the mods left the group. The group still exists and the other mod started a Lord of the Rings stitching group, so I joined that too since that has been my first fantasy love and something I've followed since I was age 10 or so with the old animated Hobbit cartoon.
In case you've never seen it, here's a clip of Smaug. Terrifying!

The upshot of everything is that I'm still stitching a lot, possibly even more, although I do try and combine tasks for both groups if possible. It's manageable and enjoyable still, so I will keep on. I don't really know all the details of the issues people were having, but I assume it was the same as what usually happens, someone complained about something, someone's feelings were hurt, etc. If everyone could enjoy their favourite hobby instead of being so worried about points, which lets be honest, don't actually matter in the slightest, then maybe it will go more smoothly. As far as I'm aware, no one was actively discriminated against or bullied in the group, that would make me leave for sure.

So, on to catching up with all the past homework assignments!

Year 3, Week 10

This covered the few short days at the end of April. We were supposed to make WIP albums, with no more than 20 projects, so I tried to pick things I'd actually work on, not everything that's still a WIP. Then we had to choose our smallest stitch count project and stitch as much as possible. If we managed to finish and fully finish it as a FFO, then we'd get bonus points.

My smallest seemed to be the Joy Ornament and it moved along to here:

The start of May, coinciding with the start of Maynia for a lot of stitchers, started out with the Quiddith World Cup. This is a big section in the 4th book (Goblet of Fire) and I thought this idea was kind of brilliant. Each house was pitted against the other in a 3 day long task and this was to last for the first 2 weeks of May. My house, Ravenclaw, started off against Slytherin from May 1-3. The next match was against Hufflepuff from May 4-6. The issues in the group started during the World Cup events, so the last 2 matches were cancelled.

I worked on Joy Snowglobe some more and got a little farther:
and Princess and the Dragon:
moved along to here: 
Princess and the Dragon by Charting Creations
stitched 1 over 1 on 28 ct Amarinthine by Chromatic Alchemy

If you notice the little label, the mods started a random number thing because of the issues they were having, so that's why there's an extra paper on this one. 

They did the same thing for the next match:

 Team Jodyri design from the Team Jodyri vs. Team KLT group
stitched 2 over 2 on 28 ct Jodyri fabric, possibly Mrs Milkybar kid? with Purple Planets and Disco Lights as well as CC Soot (I think)

I was happy to get that one finished and I still had some time to stitch, so pulled out Princess and the Dragon again:
 moving it to here:

And this is where everything kind of broke down in the School of Magical Stitches. The remaining mod created a new task:

Year 4, Week 1

And we were to comment on our thoughts on the changes, what's been going on, etc. as well as stitch 100 stitches. I pulled out Princess and the Dragon again and worked on the middle section:
And there was no prompt for this, but the middle section was so close to a finish that I continued on and finished it up:
You may be able to tell this was in my car. I've taken to bringing my stitching to work so I can have a mental health break at lunch :)

Year 4, Week 2

In the Goblet of Fire book there is an inter-school competition that brings other wizarding schools into our worldview. There will be a tournament, called the Tri-Wizard tournament for the 3 schools champions. You must be 17 years old to enter, so this week we had to pick our 17th WIP on our list, or other options if you didn't have 20, although that was easy for me, since I have 20 at least! And we were to stitch 700 stitches on that WIP. 

It turned out to be Butterfly Quote which was here:
and after 700 and a bit stitches:
Butterfly Quote by Jodyri Designs
stitched 2 over 2 on unknown 14 ct fabric with Jodyri Pink Laydee and Sparkling Citrine as well as WDW Purple Iris?

And that brings us up-to-date with this week's homework, and I'll make a separate post for that as this is long enough! 

Hope you made it through and Happy Stitching!

Tiffstitch





7 comments:

  1. That's too bad to hear there was a problem within the group. It's so hard to make everyone happy. I've been in a lot of groups that did the same thing. I'm glad to see you are still getting a lot of stitching done. Everything looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear, it's a shame something like that happened. I'm guessing it's an extremely complicated and very time-consuming group to run, let alone with a number of different moderators who may not always agree. But hopefully it'll get to the end one way or another and we'll continue to see lots of progress from you for both this and The Lord Of The Rings SAL.
    Seeing your Snow Globe appear so regularly makes me want to start one of mine I've got kitted up. Maybe I'll treat myself to a bit of Christmas in July. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was a little shocked to read about all the drama going on and Kate suddenly leaving the group as I hadn't really noticed it going on...it's a shame we can never have nice things that last! Your stitching really is lovely, though :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful progress on your projects Tiffany. I really enjoy reading these posts. I'm with you and the drama. I didn't join LOTR but I did join another group and am really enjoying it.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda. I'm glad to get back to posting them too. I'm glad you're enjoying your other group and hope you posted about it as well. Off to check!

      Delete
  5. Lots of lovely progress you've been making despite the problems with the group, such a shame when these things happen to spoil it for others.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great work on your pieces. I am guessing there were problems with people using false start dates, hence the random numbers to so you can't cheat! I love how the Princess and the Dragon is growing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for any comments!

Catch-up Post and Mischievous March

Hello again, things conspired so I didn't get a chance to put a post up, but I have been stitching. I also remembered to pick up my Misc...