Tuesday, July 27, 2021

2021 Tokyo Olympic Stitching Challenge Start #5

Today it's time to talk about a sport I've never really attempted besides an old video game called "Skate or Die" back in the old Commodore 64 days. 5 1/4" floppys, those rolodexes full of disks, you remember those days too? 

Check out those graphics! I wasn't very good at this game either, I remember it being fairly difficult to do anything interesting with the keyboard setup we had. 

DD is interested in getting a skateboard and learning how to ride. We have friends who can skateboard, so hopefully we can figure out a time for a few lessons once we get her equipment. She's been saving up her money, although she keeps dipping into it to buy books. And I can't fault her that. :)

Skateboarding is a new event this year in the Olympics. Japan swept the men's and women's street events, and the gold medalist in the women's event is only 13 years old! I think all the medalists in the women's event were under 20 years of age. One interesting fact I noticed was that the younger competitors wore helmets and the older ones did not. A women in her 20s had no helmet and none of the men wore helmets, but I think they were all above 18years old. I'm not sure if it's required by Olympic rules or just a good idea. I've watched other skateboard competitions where helmets are not required for the younger competitors either. 

And onto my new start, which again is not a seasonally themed project. This might be the last one I have that's not seasonal though? I'd have to recheck my pile of to-be-started projects again. 

Eventually it will look something like this:

And here is my start:
Normal is just a setting on the washer by Lizzie Kate
stitched 2 over 2 on kit linen included with the chart
with stash threads, all WDW so far (Bethlehem, Bayberry, Blue Bonnet, Azalea and Americana)

I didn't quite get 500 stitches into this one, so I may get a few more in tonight before starting the next new one. Something more holiday oriented again maybe? Any guesses which holiday? 

I hope you're all staying well!

Happy Stitching,

Tiffstitch

8 comments:

  1. Great start... but have you seen how complicated washing machine settings are getting now? Nothing normal about those anymore!
    I did watch a bit of the skateboarding and, again, all the competitors have my total admiration, but an Olympic sport?? Hmmm, not really in my book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an excellent point. I'm not even sure ours says "normal" on it. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Tiffstitch: You are one busy lady with needle and thread.
    Cute design.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  3. My skateboarding experience is solely video game based as well - from the skateboard levels on Spyro 2 and 3! I had a lot of fun with those, though.
    I found it quite impressive how many young athletes were doing well in the competitions - but I do believe that wearing a helmet is a good idea, whether it's required or not. Especially as young, aspiring kids like your daughter might be watching - the athletes should really set an example!

    Lovely stitching start, I do like your colour choices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and you know, whenever she saw anyone fall, she'd either say "Oh, it's good they were wearing their helmet." or "Oh no! They should have been wearing a helmet." :) So I've got her well-trained I think.

      Delete
  4. I only ever use the Fast Wash program on our machine! Nothing's so dirty it needs a three hour program! I also use the mega fast spin cycle to save on drying time.

    The skateboard game photo would make a great cross stitch design! It's already pixelated.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for any comments!

Catch-up Post and Mischievous March

Hello again, things conspired so I didn't get a chance to put a post up, but I have been stitching. I also remembered to pick up my Misc...