Monday, July 26, 2021

2021 Tokyo Olympics Stitching Challenge Start #4

Day 4 here we go! And make sure you're checking out Rachel's posts. Her day 3 start is a must-have for me. 

Today I wanted to give you a little background on table tennis or ping pong. There's a 12 year old girl competing in the singles event this year, and I don't think she's moving on to the finals, but just getting there at 12 years old is a pretty big deal. I'm always amazed at how fast they can hit the ball back and forth. I've played table tennis, but not with the skill and speed these athletes show. 

Table tennis has been in the Olympics since 1988 and China has dominated the medals in both women's and men's events. The first medal in table tennis this year was an upset though, the host country, Japan, beat China in mixed doubles. I can't imagine how difficult it is to learn to keep out of each other's way trying to play doubles in table tennis! 

Today's start is <shock> not another seasonal project! I found this one while visiting my parent's LNS several years ago. It's been closed for at least a couple years now, so this has been hanging around for a while. It will eventually look something like this:
and I managed about 500 stitches to start:
Symphonie Romana by Summer House Stitche Workes
stitched 2 over 2 on 28 ct Sparkling lemonade by unknown designer
with WDW Grape Ice

I'm happy with the start on this one and love how the threads look on this fabric. I haven't chosen the colour for the central motif yet. I'm thinking about a dark lavender maybe? But don't have anything in mind yet. It will definitely take a while, so I'm sure I'll find the perfect colour someday. Please let me know if you have any suggestions!

I hope you're all staying well and Happy Stitching!

Tiffstitch


8 comments:

  1. Great start again. You say your new start is not seasonal but the design is shown in autumn colours! I think you're right with a dark lavender middle. Is this going to be for DD by any chance?

    I've admiration for young athletes, and there seem to be more than ever at this year's Olympics, but I do think there should be a minimum age, given that there is a Youth Olympics. But then again, if they're better than their older competitors which's country isn't going to choose them as their representatives? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an excellent point, and yes, it will be for DD eventually. :)

      Delete
  2. I like the color you chose, I am also asking if this is for your daughter, just curious.
    I hope you are enjoying this time of year I sure am.
    Sadly Simone Biles from Ohio stepped out of the Games, breaks my heart she is so talented.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I did choose colours with DD in mind, good catch! I was sad to read that as well, but she did the right thing. Her feats are so dynamic she could risk permanent injury if her head and body aren't in the right mindset. I was so looking forward to seeing her win gold again as well, and am glad she did the right thing for her future wellbeing. No more Kerri Strug-like competing through serious injury is only good for all the athletes.

      Delete
  3. Table Tennis is something I like to play for fun, but I am not in any way good at it! On a whole, I am impressed with how many young athletes are competing this year (or maybe it's like this every time? I never paid much attention to the Olympics before!).
    That's a great start! I take it the middle initial can be picked by you? Or are you really doing the 'S'?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And you can pick any initial, but I will be stitching the S. That's probably what caught my attention to begin with for this one. :)

      Delete
  4. Lovely design and the perfect thread colour for it too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for any comments!

Mischievous March Wrap-Up

I managed to start 5 projects this past month, even if I didn't get that much progress on any of them.  First up are the Sweet Annet sta...