Friday, July 30, 2021

2021 Tokyo Olympic Stitching Challenge Start #8

Better late than never right? Unless maybe you're running an Olympic marathon. For Day 8 I thought I'd talk about soccer/football/futbol. This is another sport I played from about age 5 to 17. I was on my high school team as well as keeper/goalie. Soccer was a lot of fun, but hockey is still my favourite sport. 


Soccer has been at the Olympics every year except 1896 and 1932, but was only for men's competition until 1996. Women's soccer was added in Atlanta and is still going strong this year. Apparently the World Champions almost never win Olympic gold as well and the USA women's team was hoping to get both this year. They had a rough start with a shut-out loss to Sweden (meaning the US team didn't score any goals). They've battled back to be in the semi-finals against Canada. I have my doubts Canada will win, so the American team will likely move on to the final and the gold medal game. The opponent will be the winner of Australia and Sweden. Whomever doesn't win the semi-final games will compete against each other for the bronze medal. My guess is that will be the Canadian team and the Australian team, but we shall see. 

I just realized this is one sport where the women and men's teams all wear the same equipment, so there hasn't been any uniform controversy in this one. That must be a welcome break for the women's teams not to have to fight over that as well as the lower pay most teams battle compared to men's teams. 

For today's start, I continued on with yesterday's set of 3 ornaments. I didn't have a lot of stitching time, so there wasn't a big start, but it's still a start!

Here's how they'll look again:

and this is the start of Bonne Annee:
Joyeux Noel by Hands on Design
stitched 2 over 2 on 28ct Chromatic Alchemy
stitched with DMC C321 Etoile

These will be fun little ones to finish up and should be done before Christmas if I manage to get back to them. I'll have a fair few of these to work on I think by the end of this round of starts. :)

I hope you're all staying healthy!

Happy Stitching,

Tiffstitch

6 comments:

  1. They are such pretty designs, I am working on a Hands On Design now.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice start! The fun thing about football is (to me) that the world cup (and euro cup, in my case) are such a big deal, but you hardly every hear anything about the Olympics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so true. It's like it's just another tournament, but the World Cup is the big one. Euro Cup as well, but that's held more often I think? Thank you!

      Delete
  3. I guess the Olympic football teams are all amateurs and not the overpaid professionals of the World Cup?
    Love the HoD Christmas designs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, they're the overpaid professionals. At least on the men's side since there's such a pay gap on the women's side. Thank you!

      Delete

Thanks for any comments!

April Catch-Up!

Hello all! Busy month of April up here in the Northeastern US. First the big total solar eclipse on April 8, that was amazing! I've neve...