Saturday, July 4, 2015

YOTA - July Edition

Happy 4th of July to all my American friends! We were in a parade this morning and it was a lot of fun! They have so many fun floats. My favourite is the lawn chair drill team. 

This isn't them, it's a video on YouTube, but it's a similar style. They do this in the middle of the parade. 

Onto YOTA - Year of the Acronym hosted by Pull The Other Thread. I didn't work on any of the projects I mentioned in my last YOTA post, but I did work on some other projects. Only one was a UFO, but we can call the other 2 WIPs, so they're still acronyms, right? :)

My UFO from 2011 got some good progress and it's starting to really take shape:

Sorry the white balance is off, I haven't figured out how to edit photos well with the new changes to Google Photos. This is one I really, really want to finish this year and it's my travel kit. I'll take it with me and get a few stitches in even if we're only driving a half hour somewhere. 

And my WIP - Letter K:

I finished the cross stitch and the back stitch and have started beading. I wish I had remembered that I should iron it before beading, but I'll just have to muddle through that part. I had some Invisible thread to bead with, but I can't find it (ba dum bump). Get it, because it's invisible? :) Anyways, I'm using DMC 772 which matches the fabric close enough. 

If anyone dislikes back stitch, this is a great project to do. The back stitch maybe took 3 hours. Maybe. It was so easy to complete, even the Kreinik. The beading is going pretty well also. I'm maybe half way done one kind of beads, the kind that you use the most, then there are a few more kinds. One is just for the dress, and I'm short 2 larger beads that I have to order. Fortunately I won Linda's giveaway and I have a gift certificate for 123 Stitch. I wonder what else will jump in my basket? 

I hope you all have a great weekend, and happy stitching!

Tiffstitch



12 comments:

  1. That puppy is seriously cute! Nice progress as well. K is beautiful. Ironing with the beads is not really a problem - just iron on a fluffy towel so the beads can sink into it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love working on him and thank you for the tip. That will definitely come in useful.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful progress, Tiffany :-) Ugh, I hate backstitching. Haven't tried beading yet but would like to. Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You might want to try one of these then. Very little backstitch and she uses hand dyed threads so there's no confetti either.

      Delete
  3. Oh, I love the lawn chair drill - how do people come up with these ideas? Lovely stitching progress, too. Happy 4th of July!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea. The one in our parade has them sitting down and opening a paper too. :) I hope you have a Happy 4th as well!

      Delete
  4. Great stitching! I've always been terrified to do full beading like that (I've only done it to replace french knots), but I love to look at them!

    I am SOO missing yours and Kate's lists!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind beading, it's time-consuming, but it does add something to the finished piece. I started with a Mill Hill kit, and then realized it wasn't too scary and now this is the largest piece I've ever had with beads.

      Delete
  5. Wonderful progress on both projects. Letter K is looking fantastic, so close to the finish now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just LOVE that cute dog. Great progress on the K it's really pulling together.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for any comments!

Catch-up Post and Mischievous March

Hello again, things conspired so I didn't get a chance to put a post up, but I have been stitching. I also remembered to pick up my Misc...